Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 27

What's happening underneath that bump?

During this week, the brain continues its rapid growth, and the lungs continue to grow. The eyelids, which have been shut up until now, slowly begin to open, and the retinas begin to form. Coordination is improving and the baby is able to cry now although nobody can hear!


He or she will grow over 1/2 inch this week and will be about 1 1/3 feet long (from crown of head to the toes or 9.6 inches from crown to rump), and weighs about 2 lbs. The skin has become less wrinkled as fat fills out, and the skin has turned opaque.

I cannot believe that I’m about to be in my third trimester!!! Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock!!

We had our hospital tour last Wednesday, and man, I’m scared! We basically went through the same process we will when I’m actually in labor, and when we made it to the birthing room, my heart started palpitating and I got really scared…It’s actually going to HAPPEN!!! Although I must say that the room itself looked quite comfortable…..big screen TV, comfortable armchair for the daddy-to-be…really, if I didn’t have to be in labor, I’d say it’d be a pleasant stay.

It didn’t help that when we were leaving that floor, we past by a freshly delivered scene….. sheets all bagged up, beds stripped…..it felt like it was a murder scene…EEK!!!!

But of course, then we went up to the “permanent” rooms and we saw a one day old baby girl who was gorgeous! And we all oogled at the nursery window……I could barely contain my excitement then----I can’t wait to finally meet my little one.

Speaking of him/her, we now can feel AND see the form that is causing all those kicks and bumps at my belly…..Where before, it was just a generic thumping, now, we can actually feel and see his/her foot or hand that’s pushing against my stomach and it’s the weirdest, creepiest, most fascinating thing in the world!

Oh, and my belly button is popping out more and more. And my linea negra (line on the belly) is darkening --- Consistent with all of my body’s other idiosyncrasies, either my belly button is skewed to the right, or my linea negra is skewed to the left, because I definitely do not have a straight line down.

No comments: